Moving home check list
Congratulations you are moving home. Some of you may be renting and some of you may be lucky enough to be buying. When you move there is a list of thing that you need to do in order for your move to be successful.
Read our moving home checklist for a few tips on how to prepare.
Moving home checklist 4 – 6 weeks before you move.
- Confirm the date of your move
- If you are renting notify your landlord of your moving date. It is likely that they will require a months notice from a rent due date.
- Insure your new home. You never know what could happen when you move in.
- Get quotes for the cost of a removals company and make sure they are available on the date you require. Alternatively rent a van for the date and book some friends to help.
- If you are downsizing start preparing your home for the move. Sell unnecessary items and prepare boxes for charity shops. If you are keeping extra items book storage in advance.
- If your new property requires modernisation, book carpet fitters for the day of the move and buy paint in advance.
moving home checklist 2 – 3 weeks before you move.
- Start packing, remember you still live in your current home so keep out the essentials.
- If you are moving out of the area remember to inform doctors etc of you intent to move and book appointments in you new area.
- Forward your post,there is a cost involved but not as costly as visiting your old house each day.
- Cancel regular services, milkman, paperboy, window cleaner etc.
- Arrange for child and pet care. Trust me its much easier if they are elsewhere.
- Let your family and friends know you have moved. Facebook is great for this but remember your Nan doesn’t even have a computer, a call will be needed.
- Confirm the removals company and make sure they have full details of times and directions. If you are renting a van and friends are helping remind them.
- Make sure all paperwork is signed with your solicitor.
- Make an appointment to pick up the keys from your Agent.
Once you have moved in.
- Change details with banks, insurers, driving licence and passport. Trust me this needs doing sooner rather that later.
- Inform your bank of any changes to standing orders or direct debits.
- Sit back relax and enjoy your new home!
There may be more things that are unique to you but this list should get you moved safely. Have a great move and thank you for reading our moving home checklist.
Here is a link to a google image search for moving home checklist if you require a printable version or some extra inspiration. Click here